Be it late-night cravings, or early morning tea/coffee thirst we all know who to reach out to! Swiggy is just a click away from ordering our favorite dish right at our doorstep. We can’t thank them enough for helping us in discovering restaurants nearby us.
The year 2019 is coming to an end and before Swiggy takes the responsibility for our cravings in 2020, here are some mind-boggling facts and achievements and milestones this food delivery app reached this year:
- Gulab Jamun and Falooda were on the top list of sweet dishes. Gulab Jamun was ordered 17,69,399 times while Faluda was the 2nd sweet dish serving 11,94,732 orders. 17th Feb was National Gulab Jamun Day! (On this day, max. gulab jamuns were ordered pan India)
- Other sweet dishes were death by chocolate, tender coconut ice cream, tiramisu ice cream, and Kesar halwa.
- 95 biriyanis are ordered every minute. For the 4th consecutive year, this dish topped the charts of the most ordered dishes and the most favorite dish. 20th October was National Biriyani Day!
- Mumbai’s Chal Dhanno Tawa Biriyani sold @ INR19/- while Pune’s Chicken Sajuk Biriyani was the most expensive one selling @ INR1500/-
- For Pizza lovers, toppings of onions, cheese, paneer, and mushrooms were the most favorite one. While 1.5% of pizza orders had pineapple toppings. 22nd Sept was National Pizza Day!
- Gone are the days when Khichdi was recommended for people stuck with fever and flu. In fact, Khichi orders rose by 128% this year and Navratri was the peak period.
Here are the top 10 dishes for this year:
- Chicken Biriyani.
- Masala Dosa
- Paneer Butter Masala
- Chicken Fried Rice.
- Mutton Biriyani.
- Chicken Dum Biriyani.
- Veg Fried Rice.
- Pulao (there is nothing as Veg Biriyani!)
- Tandoori Chicken.
- Dal Makhani.
Mouth-watering, right? Well, there is more! We also saw tremendous growth in healthy orders. Healthy food orders crossed the 3.5 lakh mark. Swiggy witnessed a 306% increase in keto orders. Under healthy food, following topped the list:
- Keto brownies.
- Keto-friendly Tuscan chicken.
- Red rice Poha.
These were Swiggy food delivery’s updates. Now let’s throw some light on its pick and drop service that was launched on Sept 19.
- Documents, clothes, dabbas, keys, helmets, phone and laptop chargers and spectacles were most ordered items. Said the other way around, these were the items people forgot the most.
- Terracotta jewelry, cupcakes and made to order delicacies were some items entrepreneurs delivered through Swiggy go this year.
- Ladyfinger (Bhindi), potato and red onions were the most ordered items on weekdays and weekends. One customer had INR 20.000/- billing, the largest on Swiggy stores.
- Gaumutra (cow urine), aux cables, hand-pressed manual pumps, couple’s rings, and rent receipts were the most unusual things Swiggy brought on behalf of their customers.
While Swiggy had maximum male delivery resources, this year’s food (and other) delivery app saw over 1000 women joining as delivery partners. Sudha delivered 6838 orders in 13 months.
While these were some mind-boggling stats from this year, let’s discover some interesting achievements from the previous year, 2018.
- Masala Dosa topped the list of breakfast menu with 7 lakh orders.
- A biriyani was ordered at every 3.5 seconds.
- Ice-cream was ordered the most between Chennai and Hyderabad finale.
- Chinese cuisine orders were slightly more than Bejing’s population, 2.18 crore.
- Misti Doi and Kalakand were ordered the most during Durga Pooja.
- Laddu and Karanji were ordered the most during Ganesh Chaturthi.
- The earliest order Swiggy received was at 6 am from Coimbatore for Idli.
- The last order of 2018 came from Delhi at around 4:37 am.
Well, one thing is clear that Indians have easily inculcated online food ordering habits with ease. Not only this, they trust Swiggy that the food they are ordering rightly fits on their expectations.
Findings are based on the data covering 500 cities available for January to October 2019.
With every year passing, we are getting to know some interesting food habits and behaviors of India and every year has some or the other fact/achievement or milestone that left us amazed! What was yours?