In this article, we are looking at the smartphone apps of the decade which brought a revolution in the world of smartphones by making them smarter.
The smartphone is just a phone if it doesn’t have apps installed in it. From ordering food or shopping to watching favorite movies and play simulation games, smartphones have become a major source of entertainment and utility.
2010-2019 decade was a decade of smartphone apps not only witnessed consumers downloading the distinctive number of apps but their spending on them had a breakthrough growth. With approx. 5.13 bn mobile phone users worldwide, apps and spending on apps have a bumper growth opportunity.
According to research by build fire, the average person has 60-90 apps on their smartphones however 25 of them are used per month. 96% of user’s time is spent on not more than 10 apps.
Let’s look at major highlights in the app market.
- Q3 2019 witnessed 31bn app downloads.
- Consumer spending on apps went as high as $23 bn. Both platforms witnessed a 20% growth in consumer spending.
- Google play continues to read iOS in downloads by 175%. Non-gaming apps had 60% of downloads across android and iOS stores.
- Google play has approx. 76 bn downloads while the iOS store had approx. 30mn downloads.
- India, Brazil & Russia are the major countries for google play absolute downloads.
- China, the US, Japan, Saudi Arabia, and Brazil are major markets for the iOS store. Except for Saudi Arabia & Brazil, the other 3 countries majorly spent on apps related to photo & video, entertainment, and music.
- Mobile apps are expected to generate $189bn in revenue by 2020. 98% of this revenue comes from free apps.
So, the question is, out of these many apps in the market, which apps have managed to conquer space in people’s smartphones the decade and on which apps consumers spend the most.
Most downloaded Smartphone apps of decade
Facebook: Facebook tops in terms of social media usage and several app downloads this decade and it seems like none other social media platform is anywhere near it. Even though twitter is on the top 10 list, but it will take a lot for Twitter to reach where Facebook is enjoying its returns. Here are some interesting facts about facebook app:
- Facebook has more than 1 bn userbases out of which 85% of daily active users are from outside US/Canada.
- India is the largest population on Facebook with over 270 mn users followed by 190 mn users from the US.
- Out of 1 bn users, 96% of the users accessed via mobile devices.
- Facebook alone accounts for over 42% of monthly social media visits.
- People have pressed Facebook’s like button more than 1.13 trillion times.
- On average an active facebook user spends 58 minutes daily.
Facebook Messenger: Our 2nd most downloaded apps of the decade is Facebook’s messenger app. In the iOS market, messenger happens to be 2nd favorite app followed by the Facebook app itself. Here are some interesting facts about the messenger app:
- More than 1.3bn people use messenger each month and there are approx. 3lakh active bots.
- More than 20bn messages being sent between people and businesses on Messenger every month.
WhatsApp Messenger: Facebook-owned WhatsApp messenger backs 3rd position in the race of most downloaded apps of the decade however it’s said to be the most used messenger globally. Here are some interesting facts about this messenger app:
- 5bn users are spread across 180 countries that make this messaging app the most favorite app globally.
- India is the biggest market for WhatsApp with 200mn active users followed by 120mn from Brazil and 20mn user-base coming from the US.
- 3mn users of WhatsApp Business.
- 65bn WhatsApp messages are sent every day at a speed of 29mn messages per minute.
- May-July 2018 measured 85bn hours of WhatsApp usage.
Instagram: It’s not surprising to know that the top 4 most downloaded apps are from Facebook or backed up by Facebook itself. Recent changes in Instagram changed how people interpret this app. Previously it was considered as a virtual album of people who were into traveling and photography. But now every brand and business wants to be on this platform and reach out to its dear customers. Here are some eye-popping facts about this picture app:
- More than 1bn people use Instagram and 500mn people use Instagram stories every day.
- Users are expected to spend more than 45 minutes on Instagram by 2020.
- Its potential advertising reach is said to reach approx. 850mn users worldwide.
- On average a brand posts 2-3 times every day.
Snapchat: Those cute and crazy filters that made you a different person, is loved by people from all around the world. As of Q3 2019, Snapchat has approx. 203mn active userbase on its platform and 61% of the global Snapchat users are females. Here are some more interesting facts about his app:
- 5bn snaps are sent daily as of Q2 2019. 34 snaps per user per day.
- Daily video views average to about 10bn.
Skype: There were times when skyping used to be the coolest thing between friends or between working professionals to talk. Skype stands at 6th position in terms of several downloads. Here are some facts about skype:
- Out of its userbase, 25% are millennials (outside China)
- Users spend approx. 3mn minutes on Skype.
Tik-Tok: A recent addition to social media apps, Tik-Tok has been overperforming since its inception. This app comes up with a unique feature of sharing short videos that are interactive, collaborative, funny, informational. It’s a platform that welcomes all the content aspirants and brings out the best in them. Here are some interesting facts about Tik-Tok:
- It has a userbase of over 1.3 bn globally and over 60% of its monthly users belong to the USA under the age group 16-24 years.
- It created its in-app e-commerce feature.
- Android use of this app is more popular than iOS.
- Top 50 Tik-Tok creators have more followers than the populations of Mexico, Canada, the UK, Australia, and the US combined.
- It’s the only top 5 global apps that are not owned by Facebook.
UC Browser: It’s the world’s No.1 third-party mobile browser and content platform from Alibaba Innovation Initiatives Business Group. It has over 1.1bn downloads (China excluded) and a major chunk of the userbase is from India. It has reached 430 mn monthly active users globally.
YouTube: It’s not wrong to say that YouTube is the Television of the internet with more than 2bn logged-in monthly users and its growth seems to be unstoppable. Be it any video, news update or a compilation we always search for the same over YouTube! Here are some amazing facts about our internet’s television:
- 15% of YouTube’s site traffic comes from the US alone.
- Merely 33% of the popular videos on YouTube are English videos. Videos exist in 80 different languages spread in 91 countries.
- People upload 500 hours of video content every minute.
- 70% of what people view on YouTube is based on a recommendation algorithm.
- Each visit on the YouTube platform involves 6-7 page views on an average.
- It’s estimated that YouTube will make $5.5 bn in revenue alone through video advertising.
Twitter: If anything, that’s trending and trolling, its source mandatorily has to be Twitter. Twitter has approx. 330 mn monthly active userbase. If you love this platform, don’t forget to tweet this amazing fact about it:
- Q1 2019 had 68 mn monthly active users and Q3 2019 witnessed 145 mn active users a jump of 17% year-on-year.
- Japan is the 2nd largest market for Twitter contributing $129mn.
- Total recorded advertising revenue in Q3 2019 was $702 mn.
- Alexa website rankings rank Twitter at 36th
- Episodes 3 & 6 of GOT (Game of Thrones) were the most discussed around #GOT
- Twitter has a more mature audience than Instagram and Snapchat with approx. 63% worldwide users between age 35-65.
- Twitter seems to be more popular among males
- The face with tears of joy emoji has been used more than 2 bn times on Twitter.
Apps by All Time Consumer-Spent
Netflix: Without a doubt, people are spending on Netflix because of its amazing content! This OTT platform is creating wonders in terms of content quality and now by the number of spending people do on this app. It’s a subscription-based app where you pay a monthly premium and get unlimited TV shows, movies, documentaries.
- US/Canada alone spends approx. 67 mn.
- Europe, Middle-East & Africa contributes to approx. 47 mn.
- Latin America spends approx. 30mn.
- Asia-Pacific spends the lowest on this platform, merely 14.5mn.
Tinder: Surprisingly, user spending on Tinder makes it the 2nd largest app on this basis. Dating apps dominated the market globally with combined revenues crossing the $2.2 bn mark. An app that helps strangers to meet in real life it’s the world’s most popular dating apps.
- Tinder sparks more than 26 mn matches.
- With Tinder Plus users get unlimited likes and 5 super likes per day and many more profile controls.
- Tinder claims more than $233 mn in user spending which represented 7% growth from Q3 2018.
- 43% of its revenues come from the US followed by 7% from Great Britain and the remaining 5% from Brazil.
Pandora: Besides dwindling userbase, Pandora has been struggling and coping up with this disturbing market. Pandora’s unique feature For Me playlist creates a ceaseless playlist of new music and podcast just for the listeners by taking likes and dislikes into consideration. Pandora Plus comes with an add-on feature of ad-free radio with unlimited skips and offline radio which is available at merely $5 a month.
Tencent: Generates most of its revenue from its home market. It owns WeChat the top mobile messaging app in China with 1.5 bn active users and it’s the largest video game. Business. They have high hopes to expand WeChat Pay to other countries form which they are optimistic to generate even more revenues.
Line: Line is best known outside Asia its best known for cuddly bear, rabbit and duck characters as emojis. The messaging app has a few million users in the US, 80 mn people use it Japan and its top markets are Thailand, Taiwan & Indonesia, for a total of more than 194 mn users worldwide.
iQIYI: China’s Netflix iQIYI is the biggest online streaming app, operator. Instead of showing up at a certain time view a certain movie, film buffs have an option to book private on demand to play their choice of movies. It has approx. 61.3 mn users worldwide.
Spotify: Sweden headquartered music streaming platform has approx. 233 mn userbase. In 2015 the app added nearly 30 thousand minutes of music which jumped up to approx. 44 thousand minutes of music.
YouTube: If you want to view ad-free videos, YouTube premium is there for you but good things come at a cost. Also, you can rent movies and shows and purchase them as well. With this feature, users are spending more on YouTube premium and if ever they skipped a movie, they already know that YouTube is there for them at a minimal cost.
HBO Now: HBO Now is an American video-on-demand subscription service operated by U.S. premium television network HBO. Officially unveiled on March 9 and launched on April 7, 2015, the service provides on-demand access for subscribers to HBO’s library of original programs, movies and other content on personal computers, smartphones, tablet devices, and digital media players.
Kwai: Kwai is a growing social networking video app with 100 million active monthly users capturing what life is like outside of China’s biggest cities. Many critics see much of the content of Kwai as vulgar and dumb, while the company says it’s an authentic place for average Chinese people.