- Alibaba tops the overall ranking of 100 top retailers in Asia, India’s Future Group ranked at 78 and Reliance retail at 86th on the Asia-wide ranking.
- Walmart is the top retailer of among all the retailing businesses in India thanks to its acquisition of Flipkart in 2018 for $16 billion.
Euromonitor Study has ranked Walmart as the top retailer of among all the retail stores in India thanks to their acquisition of Flipkart in 2018 for $16 billion.
Walmart is followed by the US rival Amazon in the list. Indian homegrown groups such as Future Group and Reliance Retail are on the third and fourth places.
The report said that behavioral change in the lifestyle of Indian household can be seen in the rankings. Due to the household’s busy lifestyles and hectic schedules of working adults, most consumers in the urban areas prefer to go to the new age grocery retailers rather than traditional grocery retailers.
Here is the list of top 10 retailers in India-
- Walmart Inc.– Walmart operates a chain of hypermarkets, discount department stores, and grocery stores, headquartered in Bentonville, Arkansas. Walmart is ranked one among the retail business totally based on its acquisition of Flipkart.
- Amazon– The e-commerce giant led by the richest man of the World Jeff Bezos stands 2nd on the list. Founded in 1994, the company is the largest online retailer on the planet. In India, it is ranked 2nd behind Walmart-Flipkart.
- Future Group– Future Group is an Indian conglomerate headquartered in Mumbai, Maharashtra, India. The company is known for having a significant prominence in Indian retail and fashion sectors. Led By Kishore Biyani, the group stands 3rd in the list.
- Reliance Retail– Reliance Retail Limited is a subsidiary company of Reliance Industries Limited. Founded in 2006. Founder of Reliance Retail is Mukesh Ambani and V Subramaniam is CEO. With more than 3,500 stores, the group stands on 4th in the list.
- Tata Group– One of India’s largest conglomerates, Tata Group is owned by Tata Sons. Trent is the retail hand of the Tata group. Started in 1998, Trent operates Westside, one of the many growing retail chains in India based in Mumbai, Maharashtra, and Landmark, a bookstore chain with brick and mortar stores in various locations of India.
- One97 Communications- One97 is known for its flagship product Paytm. The company stands 6th on the list due to operations of Paytm Mall- an online retail store in India.
- Avenue Supermarts– The supermarket chain of D-Mart stores is owned and operated by Avenue Supermarts Ltd. (ASL). The brands D Mart, D Mart Minimax, D Mart Premia, D Homes, Dutch Harbour, etc are brands owned by ASL D-Mart is widely known to be a one-stop shopping destination to meet all the household needs of a family.
- Aditya Birla Group– More. is a retail store brand which was earlier known as Aditya Birla Retail Limited, when it was part of Aditya Birla Group. More is the fourth largest supermarket chain in the country after Future Group, Reliance Retail, and D-Mart. More provides online grocery retail services in Bangalore, NCR, and Pune through its e-Commerce website MyMoreStore.More Retail Limited provides customers products under its own labels.
- Landmark Group– Landmark Group (UK) is a multinational conglomerate based in London, the UK headed by Micky Jagtiani, who is the Founder & Chairman of the company. The group is involved in retailing of apparel, footwear, consumer electronics, cosmetics & beauty products, home improvement, and baby products.
- Shoppers Stop- Shoppers Stop is an Indian department store chain, owned by the K Raheja Corp Group. There are 83 stores across 38 cities in India, with clothing, accessories, handbags, shoes, jewelry, fragrances, cosmetics, health and beauty products, home furnishing and decor products.
This report shows both the retail of offline and online which is clearly dominated by Walmart.